The Ultimate Guide to Choosing New Home Windows for Southwestern Ontario Homeowners
Choosing new home windows can seem like a daunting task. There is quite a lengthy list of important factors to weigh as you try to choose windows that are right for your home and your individual lifestyle. Price, return on investment, energy efficiency, materials, design, and functionality are just a few considerations you’ll likely run into. And, without being an industry expert, how are you supposed to navigate the world of windows you’ve landed in? That’s where Brookstone Windows & Doors comes in. As your partner in the window selection process, we’re excited to provide an ultimate guide to choosing new home windows, from the most common window types to breaking down what makes vinyl the best window material on the market.
Which Window Style Suits You?
As you start to shop around for replacement windows, you’ll likely run into terms you may not recognize. What’s the difference between an awning and a hopper window, for instance? What’s the right situation to choose a casement window versus a picture window? We’re here to answer your questions. Here’s a quick breakdown of the benefits of each type of window Brookstone Windows & Doors offers:
- Bay and bow windows – Bright and expansive, these compound window systems are perfect for adding a little extra space to your home without undertaking a huge renovation project. Use them to create that light-soaked reading nook you’ve always wanted.
- Casement windows – Casement windows open outwards via a simple crank mechanism, allowing you to enjoy a nice breeze from almost any angle. They typically provide more viewing area than a double hung window, but not quite as much as immoveable picture windows.
- Picture windows – These windows are great for large wall areas where an outside view would be far preferable to a piece of art. Their large size provides an unobstructed view of the great outdoors and allows natural light to drench the room.
- Awning and hopper windows – Awning windows are hinged at the top and open outwards, whereas hopper windows are hinged at the bottom and open inwards. Both open easily, so they’re great for hard-to-reach areas, such as above a sink. Awning windows’ unique design allows you to open them even during light rain, and hopper windows can ventilate a basement while blocking debris from entering.
- Double hung windows – Double hung windows offer a classic aesthetic with the option to open for ventilation both at the top and the bottom of the window. The benefit? You let cool air in while allowing warm air to escape.
- Slider windows – Many homeowners opt for sliding windows to connect their indoor kitchens to their outdoor kitchens, creating a seamless way to pass prepped steaks and veggies ready to throw on the grill.
In addition to these window styles, Brookstone Windows & Doors also offers vinyl windows in custom shapes. Is there an area in your home where a unique window could make the perfect accent? If you can dream it, we can make it a reality with a custom-made vinyl window!
What Makes Vinyl Windows So Great?
Now that you’ve read up on the many style options we offer, let’s move onto a topic we’re passionate about at Brookstone Windows & Doors: what makes vinyl the best material for home windows. There’s a reason so many Canadian homeowners consistently choose vinyl replacement windows—multiple reasons, actually—and each truly sets vinyl apart as the superior window material. Homeowners who choose Brookstone vinyl windows can benefit from:
- Lasting durability – At Brookstone, we manufacture all of our windows in Canada using non-recycled PVC. Many big box stores use recycled plastic which doesn’t hold up as well as virgin PVC, but we’re proud to say that our windows won’t chalk, fade, warp, or break like lower-quality alternatives.
- Superb energy efficiency – Featuring insulated frames and argon gas fills in between the glass panes, our vinyl windows are almost as efficient as insulated walls.
- Affordability – Vinyl windows are widely regarded as one of the most affordable window types on the market, offering outstanding value for their cost.
- A lifetime, no-nonsense guarantee – All of our windows are covered by a no-nonsense, no-fine-print lifetime warranty. Our warranty is transferrable, too, if you decide to sell your home within 5 years of installing new home windows.
In addition to these features, vinyl is also super low-maintenance. Vinyl windows never require painting as wood windows do, and you can always opt for a woodgrain finish on your vinyl windows to emulate the classic look of wood if that’s your desired aesthetic.
Are You Ready for New Home Windows?
If you have additional questions about home windows that we at Brookstone Windows & Doors can help you answer, contact us today! We’re always available to assist southwestern Ontario homeowners with their replacement window needs.